by Mark Lobo
As the tide of war began to turn in 1944, with allied forces advancing on Nazi-held territory, the magnitude of inhumanity began to be revealed. Nearly 30 major concentration and extermination camps were closed, abandoned or liberated at a heavy cost to the soldiers tasked with the job of containing then defeating the Nazi regime. The liberating armies revealed the awful conditions of the concentration camps to the World. The record of photos, film and testimonies of the liberators instructs us to abhor and fight the causes of the Holocaust
Liberators Park on Zarrow Campus, dedicated in 1990 by Harry Guterman, reminds us of our need to hold dear a lesson of the Holocaust. Millions were imprisoned in the camps, and freedom was made possible by the military forces aligned to defeat the monstrous enemy. The sculpture Opened Gate at the park entrance represents this statement, with the right-hand column turned in from the outside to free the captive.
The Council for Holocaust Education has turned its attention to Liberators Park to enhance its educational aspect. A memorial marker inscribed with camp statistics is planned for each of 18 learning stations along the walking path through the park. The markers will be funded by donations to the Council and can include a dedication nameplate for those donors wishing to acknowledge a loved one caught up in the Holocaust as a prisoner or liberator.
Please contact Director of Holocaust Education Cassie Nodine at 918.495.1100 to find how you can sponsor one or more memorial marker.